Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 11 February 2024

The Oxford Oratory Pippet Murals


The appeal by the Oxford Oratory for funds to restore the murals by Gabriel Pippet in the sanctuary which I wrote about only ten days ago has already raised over £12,000, which is well on the way to the total required sum of £20,000. As a result the restoration work on the paintings will commence on Monday February 19th and is expected to take about three weeks to complete.

The Oratory website has a feature about the project which can be seen at Phase 1: Uncovering the Sanctuary Murals

An artistic resurrection well in time for Easter and a augury of more good things to come in terms of restoring the interior of St Aloysius’.


No comments: