Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 1 February 2024

Rendlesham Revealed at West Stow


The ongoing archaeological investigation of the East Anglian royal centre at Rendlesham near Sutton Hoo in Suffolk has added an immense amount to our knowledge of the life of the seventh century English elite. I have written about it several times on this blog.

Now an exhibition about the site and the finds from it is being staged on the other side of the county at the reconstructed Anglo-Saxon village at West Stow near Bury St Edmunds.

The exhibition consists of more than fifty artifacts drawn from Suffolk museum and archaeological service collections as is reported by the BBC News website at Royal finds displayed at Anglo-Saxon village

The village at West Stow is fascinating in itself as a reconstruction of an early community of houses, which were, as I recall from my one visit there many years ago, much more substantial than one might expect.

The exhibition is on until July 23rd


No comments: