Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 28 February 2024

Pesellino reassessed


As the exhibition celebrating his surviving work at the National Gallery approaches its end next month Pesellino receives another profile in the arts press, this time from Apollo.

The intention of the exhibition was to create a greater awareness of Pesellino as an artist and restore him to his proper place in the history of Florentine art. The article gives a good summary of his life and works, and seeks to makes its positive assessment of his contribution. It can be seen at Pesellino is restored to his rightful place in art history 


No comments: