Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 17 February 2024

Supporting St Christopher at Salisbury


Amongst the treasures of the Museum in Salisbury are the guild parade figures of St - or Sir - Christopher and his horse Hob Nob. Survivors from late medieval guild processions in the city they are similar to Snap the dragon at Norwich - who has, however, lost his companion St George along the historical way. I posted about Snap and his recent revival in English Iconoclasm II - the fate of the cult of St George

They are a reminder of what was doubtless much more common in later medieval England and survives abroad in Mardi Gras figures and the saints day festivals of Italy.

The BBC News website reports on an appeal for volunteers to act as bearers of the replica figure of the Salisbury St Christopher or Giant which is now used for processions in the city. This is in an article which can be seen at Volunteers needed to carry giant medieval statue

I do rather like the idea that the statue would have been clothed with the products of local looms as a means of advertising fabrics to those watching the procession, piety on the medieval catwalk.


No comments: