Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 31 January 2024

Reflections on the Coronation

 
In my previous post I referred to a pair of articles in the Royal Martyr Church Union’s The Royal Martyr Annual: Coronation Issue, 2024.

These were brought to my attention by a friend and repay reading. 

The first is a short piece by the Bishop of Edinburgh about his presence in Westminster Abbey as Usher of the White Rod. I posted about this recently in Unicorns

The Bishop sets out the background history and then describes his part in the Coronation. I would agree with him that it is a pity he was not asked to actually bear the White Rod in the Procession. A place should be found for the Usher then and at the National Service of Thanksgiving in St Giles to exercise his office and as part of a continuing tradition. I would also regret that the White Rod does not make an appearance at the opening of a new session of the Scottish Parliament alongside the Crown and the Lord Lyon Court. It is an ancient office and one that could be reintegrated into public ceremonies of state.

The second article is by Canon William Guilliford and described as an initial liturgical discussion of the Coronation last year. So far I have only been able to read it through quickly in a scanned version of the text but it appears to make many points I would make if asked to compose a similar piece. Unlike Canon Guilliford I see no merit at all in the anointing screen, but otherwise I am pretty much in agreement with him.  

Tracking down a hard copy of these texts would be well worth while for anyone interested in the Rite and thinking as to how it can be celebrated in the future.


No comments: