Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 21 December 2022

The history and traditions of Pork Pies


Although they are eaten all year round pork pies are very much part of traditional English Christmas fare. Like many people I shall have one on hand to sustain me through the festive season.

Country Life had an article recently about the history of this so familiar food but yet one that by being familiar one rarely thinks about its history as one has another portion.

Some of the answers such as to what makes a Melton Mowbray pie distinct from other pork pie, such as those from “oop North”, can be found in the article which can be seen at The secret history of the humble pork pie


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although partial to pork pies, especially premium quality ones, I tend to prefer Cornish pasties. Again, that refers to tip-top quality pasties with generous mince fillings, not the potato-filled rubbish one generally finds in supermarkets!

It is said that the sign of a good Cornish pasty is that you can drop it down a tin mine shaft, and on reaching the bottom you will find it still in one piece! Oooh Aarrr! :-)

John R Ramsden

P.S. Merry Christmas, John, and a Happy and Prosperous New Year. Also, thank you for all the fascinating information you post, which it would be hard to find, and easy to miss, elsewhere! I don't presume to speak for your doubtless many readers, but I'm sure they feel the same.