Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 20 December 2022

Christmas Past


With the approach of Christmas I thought it might be of interest to share some online articles about Christmas celebrations of yesteryear and their continuing legacy.

The first is from History Extra and looks at Welsh Christmas customs. Some are more ancient than others.

I do recall once reading - I think in Studies in Church History - of an instance of how a tradition of staging a Nativity scene had survived in Wales into the late eighteenth century 

This is a reminder that Wales remained in religious terms conservative and inclined to Catholic and High Church traditions long before the rise of our stereotypical image of Wales as “Chapel” - this I gather is a relatively late phenomenon. The image of Wales as dominated by Nonconformity is a legacy of energetic Nonconformist historians of past generations who ignored its Recusant and Tractarian heritage.

The article can be seen at Welsh Christmas traditions through history

There is more about the Mari Lwyd ( not in any way to be confused with the homonymous music hall singer ), and about how to make one, in a video from The Welsh Viking which can be viewed at Mari Lwyd: WELSH SKULL HORSE GHOST THING

The second online article is from History.co.uk looks at Christmas games that were played in the past and can be seen at The 12 games of Christmas: History's forgotten festive pastimes

Reading it the story from John Aubrey about people playing Mould-My-Cockle-Bread reminded me of unsavoury stories one used to hear about what used to happen with or on the office photocopier during firm’s Christmas parties …..

I also happened upon several interlinked articles from Ancient Origins about Christmas celebrations in the past and about the origins of various seasonal traditions. These can be seen at Medieval Great Halls Were at the Heart of the Festive Season, with something about festive fare at What Would You Have Eaten for Christmas in Medieval Times?, whilst other aspects of this season are covered at Ancient Origins of Favorite Christmas Traditions PLUS Those You May Never Have Heard About and at The Holly and the Mistletoe: Ancient Roots of Christmas Symbols


No comments: