Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 20 December 2022

Climate change and the Hunnic invasions


Our current awareness of the impact of climate change, its causes and consequences has led researchers to look at past history to see if similar or analagous factors played a part or even determined events then. I have linked to some examples of this in previous posts.

The latest instance of this is a recently published study based on tree-ring evidence for significant droughts in the early to mid-fifth century which correlate to major raids into the western Roman Empire by Attila the Hun. Whilst it is not suggested that there is a single simple cause and effect relationship the argument would suggest that this warlike tribe in the central Danube basin felt compelled to go on the quest for adequate pasture for their herds and to seek resources across the Imperial frontier. 


Whether this portends a new interpretation of Attila the Hun as a fluffy eco-warrior is another, and non-academic, matter altogether …. 


No comments: