Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 20 December 2022

A pledge of significant new archaeological work on Hadrian’s Wakk


The National Lottery has made a substantial grant towards the proposed five year long investigation of the hitherto unexcavated and substantial Magna fort on Hadrian’s Wall. The site is near to the important fort and civilian settlement at Vindolanda and the grant is being made to the Vindolanda Charitable Trust. One of the aims of the excavation is to investigate how changes in the environment are affecting archaeological sites along the line of Hadrian’s Wall, and, presumably, elsewhere.

The site is also close to the Roman Army Museum which is very interesting as an accompaniment to a visit to the Wall. I visited it once some thirty odd years ago.

The report about the proposed work at the site of Magna can be seen at Huge Roman fort to be excavated in lottery-backed project


No comments: