Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 3 August 2021

Medieval summertime


The Canadian based website Medievalists.net has in its latest collection an interesting short article about life during the summer months in the middle ages both in terms of work and of leisure. Many things change, but many other things do not it seems.

The illustrated account can be seen at Summer in the Middle Ages


No comments: