Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 9 August 2021

Jacobite Banknotes


The Scotsman has an article about the printing of a limited number of sheets of Jacobite bank notes from the original plate engraved in 1746 just before Culloden. The notes are in small denominations - 1d, 2d, 3d and 6d - and were to be used to pay Prince Charles Edward’s troops as the Jacobites awaited gold from France. The plate itself was discarded in the Prince’s flight, rediscovered in the nineteenth century and used to print a few sheets in 1928. The current print run, like that, is to raise funds for the West Highland Museum.

I had heard something of this through the 1745 Association but was pleased to see this article which sets out the story with illustrations. The report can be read at Rare Jacobite bank notes set to go under the hammer

So you have a chance to buy a small piece of Jacobite history printed from the original plate, even if it will cost you a bit more than a few old pence.


No comments: