Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 6 August 2021

St Dominic 800


This year is the eighth centenary of the death of St Dominic. Like so many saints his feast day has been moved in recent decades, but this is definitely the correct time of the year to commemorate him.

Image

St Dominic
Image: Tekton Ministries

August 4th is his feast day in the 1962 Missal, which I was able to observe this year at Mass,  August 8th in the 1970 one. That is actually the anniversary of his birth in 1170, but his death took place on August 6th 1221. I assume pace my previous post that since 1456 at least he has been displaced by the Transfiguration. 

The Wikipedia life of him can be read at Saint DominicThis  includes a contemporary description of his appearance which makes him seem that much more immediately imaginable than is often the case with medieval saints.

Commemorations are being held by the Dominicans this year and today is a good opportunity for me to send greetings and good wishes to my Dominican friends on this significant anniversary.

Dom1

St Dominic
Fra Angelico, 1442
Image: catholicireland.net






No comments: