Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 24 August 2021

A Fourteenth century Cornish heretic


Fr Hunwicke has a very interesting post about a Cornish heretic in the time of Bishop John de Grandison of Exeter. The Bishop, who has a great admirer in Fr Hunwicke, held the see from 1327-69 and came from a cosmopolitan Anglo-French, or perhaps one should say Burgundian or Savoyard, aristocratic background. The Wikipedia account of his life can be seen at John Grandisson

As that biography indicates heretical or dubious religious groups did sometimes manifest themselves even in his well-run diocese and one of these is considered in Fr Hunwicke’s blog post. It appears to be a reaction to the publicising in the collection termed the Extravagantes of decrees collected and promulgated as part of Canon Law by the Bishop’s friend Pope John XXII of the Feast of Corpus Christi.

I had not encountered this case before, or if I have, I have forgotten it, and it is an interesting example of the rejection of Transubstantiation. Given that before Wyclif eucharistic heresy was rare in England it is a noteworthy exception to that basic fact.

Fr Hunwicke’s post can be seen at Bishop Grandisson and his heretic



No comments: