Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 16 November 2013

The Ordinariate Use in Oxford - November 30th


On the vigil of Advent Sunday, November 30th, the Oxford Ordinariate group will hold an Advent Carol Service of music and readings at 4pm in Holy Rood Church, followed by refreshments.

Following this at 6pm their Mass for Advent I will be a Sung Mass in the newly authorised Ordinariate Use. The preacher will be Fr Mark Woodruff, Priest-Director of the Catholic League.

The Ordinariate Use was first publicly celebrated some weeks ago at their Warwick Street church in London. Here in Oxford it has been used on Thursdays by the local group for the celebration of Low Mass, and has been well received by those who have been present, although so far I unfortunately have not been able to attend. However on November 30th there will be this sung celebration, and that will be the pattern for the other Sunday Vigil Masses of Advent so as to present this new Use to the congregation.
For both services music will be provided by the Newman Consort, so it will be a display of patrimony and shared heritage at its musical best.

No comments: