Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 27 April 2010

Patronage of St Philip



Today is the Oratorian Feast of the Patronage of St Philip. Here in Oxford this will be marked by Benediction after this evening's Mass at the Oratory.
It is very suitable that the Oratory's Reaffirmation and Renewal website should be featured today on both the Hermeneutic of Continuity and the New Liturgical Movement, so many of you will have already seen it. If not the link is here, and I have added it to the blog list for future reference. The campaign is eminently deserving of support. What has already been achieved is not inconsiderable and indicates the overall direction. The plans for the future are impressive and, with generous support, attainable.

No comments: