Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 1 September 2024

St Giles


Were today not a Sunday, unless it is the patronal feast of a particular church and hence a local solemnity, today would be the feast or commemoration of St Giles.

Because of my baptism in the church dedicated to him in Pontefract, and many years of worshiping and working there, St Giles occupies a prominent place in my personal calendar of Saints. He has also appeared frequently on this day on this blog.

Looking on the internet I came upon an article from the V&A Blog..Although its occasionally flippant style rather grates with me I think it worth sharing, not least for its illustrations of items from the V&A collection. I do not think I have linked to it beforehand. The article can be viewed at St. Giles • V&A Blog

My previous posts about his life and legend, and to devotion to St Giles, can be accessed, with quite a collection of images of this saint who was very popular with medieval people, starting from 2010 with  St Giles by Thomas of Coloswar

In 2012 I wrote St Giles and his shrine

2014.had St Giles in art and devotion and 2015 has St Giles

After an interval I returned to the subject with in 2021 St Giles and in 2022 St Giles
 
In 2023 I concentrated on his burial place with St Giles and his shrine church.

In respect of other churches under his patronage I wrote in 2013 about my baptismal church in St Giles in Pontefract and in 2020 about St Giles in Edinburgh


May St Giles pray for us all


No comments: