Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 11 September 2024

How a thirteenth century knight was armed and armoured


I happened upon a recent video post from Lindybeige in which he discusses with a fellow re-enactor ar the 2023 Battle of Evesham event the arms and armour used in the thirteenth century. In terms of body armour, as their discussion indicates, this was an ‘age of transition’ from mail to plate armour, and this is reflected in the equipment that is being worn. The video has a slightly quirky beginning explaining the presenter’s misadventure at Evesham railway station, which left him with just this one video of the weekend. All things considered I think he did well to salvage what he did. The video can be seen at A 13th Century Knight's Kit

I have not managed to attend the Evesham battle re-creation but it looks appealing from the general shots in the video. It is an annual event, held, I believe, on the weekend closest to the anniversary of the 1265 battle which was fought ( in a thunderstorm ) on August 4th of that year. 


No comments: