Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 29 September 2024

Sarum Vespers at Princeton


The New Liturgical Movement has an illustrated account of the celebration last March of the Solemn First Vespers of the Feast of St Chad according to the Sarum Use at the chapel of Princeton University. The article is very good at detailing and explaining the ceremonial that was involved - more complex than an Anglican cathedral Evensong or even Solemn Vespers at the London Oratory…


The service attracted a large congregation and there is clearly the enthusiasm to do more. Interesting thought that the Use of Sarum could be the New liturgical movement of the twenty first century…One can but hope.

May St Osmund pray for the revival of the Use of Sarum


No comments: