Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 20 January 2023

Tracey Rowland and George Weigel remember Cardinal Pell


The Catholic World Report has an excellent piece by the distinguished Australian theologian Tracey Rowland recalling her friendship with the late Cardinal George Pell and reflecting upon his impact upon the Catholic Church.

On the same site is another excellent tribute from the well-known US Catholic writer George Weigel to the Australian Cardinal which draws on both personal friendship and theological understanding.

Both are very well worth reading and can be accessed at Remembering Cardinal Pell for the article by Tracey Rowland. George Weigel’s piece can be seen at Cardinal George Pell: The Encourager.


No comments: