Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 21 January 2023

Martyred Monarchs: King Louis XVI and King Charles I


A friend has shared with me this prayer:

louis xvi
King Louis XVI

Image: alpha history.com


To be said every day between the 21st and 30th of January


In honour of the glorious memory of

LOUIS XVI of France and CHARLES I of England And for the good estate and virtue of all Christian Princes


Ant. IN the sight of the unwise he seemed to die and his departure was taken for misery; but he is in peace.


Let us pray


BLESSED Lord, in whose sight the death of thy saints is precious; We magnifie thy name for that abundant grace bestowed upon our late Martyred Soveraigns; by which they were enabled so chearfully to follow the steps of their blessed Master and Saviour, in a constant meek suffering of all barbarous indignities, and at last resisting unto bloud; and even then, according to the same pattern, praying for their murderers. Let their memory, O Lord, be ever blessed among us, that we may follow the example of their patience, and charity. And grant, that our Lands may be freed from the vengeance of their bloud, and thy mercy glorified in the forgiveness of our sins: and all

for Jesus Christ his sake. Amen.




charlesi_thumb.jpg
King Charles I

Image- History Today


No comments: