Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 27 January 2023

The Liturgical debate warms up again


Gregory DiPippo has a post on the New Liturgical Movement website alerting readers to possible or, indeed, potential looming threats to access to the traditional Roman liturgy.  This can be read at Wars and Rumors of Wars

In it he also draws attention to two recent critiques of the 1970 Pauline liturgy and urges his readers to share them. So that is what I am doing.

The first is by Dom Alcuin Reid OSB, whom I met on several occasions in Oxford, and is a forceful rebuttal of a trio of advocates or defenders of the “Pauline reform”. I have, incidentally met one of them, Fr Tom Weinandy OFM Cap. I am definitely on Dom Alcuin’s side in this debate. His article, from the One Peter Five blog site can be read at The One Thread By Which the Council Hangs: a Response to Cavadini, Healy, and Weinandy

The second is, in effect, a supporting afterword by John Byron Kuhner and looks particularly at the active part played in this process by Pope Paul VI. It can be read at Paul VI: Refounder of Catholicism

Similar ideas are articulated in in an article in this week’s Catholic World Report which can be read at Why is <i>ad orientem</i> worship so controversial?

Summorum Pontificum offered a pragmatic solution to these issues, without declaring definitively in favour of one form of the Toman Rite or the other. It was a wise and pastoral move. In contrast Traditionis Custodes was not, in my view, either wise or pastoral - it has reopened wounds and raised the temperature within the Church. To take that process further, given all the other issues facing Catholicism, would be improvident in the extreme.

A final thought - a very wise priest of my acquaintance, now alas, no longer in the Church Militant but with its Expectant or Triumpnant used to say “What is the difference between a Liturgist and a Terrorist? You can negotiate with a Terrorist.”


No comments: