Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 29 January 2023

‘Outlander’ outrage


I have never seen ‘Outlander’, and as a historian, am always very suspicious of such fictionalised time-travelling dramas about the past. The author of the books Diana Gabaldon has recently been in hot water over her use of terminology - notably the use of the word ‘Scotch’ as an adjective to describe things Scottish. Whilst it may have been used in the past other than for whisky it is at best antiquated and at worst deemed offensive by the Scots.

The redoubtable Deborah Dennison, a serious historian, writer and film maker on the Jacobite cause, has now written an excellent article for The Scotsman which assails the misrepresentation of the Highlands, Highlanders and Jacobites of the eighteenth century in the television series. As a fellow member of the 1745 Association, with no Scots ancestry but an historian’s appreciation of the history and identity of Scotland, I commend her article which can be read at "Outlander promotes a deeply distorted view of the known nature of the Gàidhealtachd".


No comments: