Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 19 August 2022

Reburying the Scarborough villa complex


Last year I posted about an important and indeed seemingly unique Roman villa site that had been uncovered during house building work just outside Scarborough on the Yorkshire coast.
 
The Smithsonian Magazine has now reports on the reburial, so as to conserve them for future generations, of these remains of a high status, if still rather mysterious, structure at Archaeologists Rebury 'First-of-Its-Kind' Roman Villa


I think it is a pity that the remains cannot be left visible, although they do appear to no more than at foundation level. However an information site is to be created on the open ground to explain the site.

I posted about the discovery of this site in The Romans on the Yorkshire Coast

There are also reports about the site from that time from The Guardian at  Roman site uncovered in Scarborough hailed as first of its kind in UK and from the Scarborough News at Scarborough Roman villa: History of the Romans on the Yorkshire Coast and at Scarborough Roman villa: Trespass at significant ruins 'inevitable' say Historic England which outlines the vulnerability of the site.

English Heritage itself gives an account of the site at Rare Roman Remains Discovered in Scarborough


No comments: