Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 25 August 2022

The Heart of Emperor Pedro I returns temporarily to Brazil


September 7th will be the bicentenary of the proclamation in 1822 of the independence of Brazil by the Infante Dom Pedro, Prince Royal of Portugal, who then, on October 12th, his twenty fourth birthday, became Empeor Pedro I, with his father King John VI as nominal co- Emperor. 

He himself was nominally King Pedro IV of Portugal in March to May 1826 before abdicating in favour of his daughter Queen Maria II, and abdicated as Emperor of Brazil in 1831, in favour of his son Emperor Pedro II. He died in Portugal in 1834 and was buried there. In 1972 to mark the 150th anniversary of Brazilian independence his body was transferred to and re-buried in Brazil as the father of independence. However his heart, at his request, is preserved in a church in Porto, and this year it is going temporarily to Brazil as part of the bicentennial.

The BBC News website reports on this brief return at  Pedro I: Emperor's embalmed heart arrives in Brazil

Euronews has film of the heart in its receptacle being put on display in advance in Porto at Heart of Brazil's first emperor returns home after almost 200 years and ABC News has pictures of the reception of the heart in Brasilia at Brazil to display embalmed heart of Dom Pedro I, monarch who declared independence in 1822

The life of the Emperor is remarkable and dramatic, and set out in reasonable detail in the Wikipedia biography at Pedro I of Brazil


No comments: