Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 12 August 2022

Herefordshire hoard to go on display in Hereford


The BBC News website reports that the significant hoard of Anglo-Saxon jewellery as well as those of the coins that were not illegally sold off, and which was found in Herefordshire in 2015, will eventually go on display at Hereford Museum and Art Gallery. So something else to look forward to seeing on a visit to that historic and charming city.

The theft of the coins by those who discovered the hoard is a shocking instance of greed and is being duly punished by prison sentences.

The illustrated article about the hoard can be seen at Stolen Viking hoard 'comes home' after fundraiser


No comments: