Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 9 April 2022

Ravenser Odd revisited


I recently wrote in The quest for Ravenser Odd about attempts to discover the remains of the medieval town of Ravenser Odd at the tip of Spurn Point in Yorkshire.

There is more about this project and about the rise and fall of this town in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries in an article in the Daily Express which can be seen at The 30-year quest to search Yorkshire Atlantis from beneath the sea


This confirms the view that Ravenser Odd was a town with a rather doubtful reputation, drawing trade away from other Humber ports and generally considered to be an unsavoury place. It also documents its precarious position at the tip of Spurn and how it was so very much at the mercy of the North Sea.


No comments: