Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 29 April 2022

Falconry as a sport of medieval Kings


I came upon an article from Science Norway about the medieval interest in falconry of Norwegian kings, and of how they gave goshawks, gyrfalcons, and rare Icelandic white falcons as diplomatic gifts to other rulers, and notably to English kings.


That falconry was especially a sport of kings is brought out by the treatise about it written in the 1240s by the Emperor Frederick II De arte Venandi cum Avibus. The work is described on Wikipedia at De arte venandi cum avibusIt remains, I understand, a classic account of the skills of falconry. 


Emperor Frederick II and a falcon from De arte Venandi cum Avibus
Bibliotheca VaticanaPal. lat 1071
Image: Wikipedia 

I wonder if the Emperor had Norwegian birds, which ai would think likely through diplomatic gifts, or whether he got them all from the lands bordering the Mediterranean.

There are videos on YouTube about the history of medieval falconry at Medieval birds of prey: How Did Knights Hunt With Birds of Prey? and a slightly humerous but informative one at The History of British Falconry | Medieval training, hunting, language and laws brought to life! Goshawks in particular are discussed at Falconry: Introduction to goshawks


No comments: