Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 26 September 2021

The hatchment of Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh


A friend has very kindly shared with me some details about the splendid hatchment that has been produced for Prince Philip.



The artist is Mark Dennis, formerly Ross Herald Extrordinary. The arms are laid on the folded anchor badge of the Lord High Admiral and are flanked by the Prince’s badges. Being produced in Scotland if very fittingly includes the Collar of the Order of the Thistle encircling the Garter. 

The image and accompanying information are from the Membership Secretary’s Blog of the Heraldry Society of Scotland.


No comments: