Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 3 September 2021

Afghanistan and its Monarchy


The recent events in Afghanistan have clearly revealed the failings in western policy as to the governance of that unfortunate country over the last twenty years. One of those failings, indeed a crucial one, was and is, in my opinion, the failure to restore the monarchy. A friend who has a similar set of views to myself has sent me the following article from The Critic about that failure. It can be read at thecritic.co.uk/could-monarchy-have-saved-afghanistan/?

Having written and posted this article I subsequently came across an online opinion piece article from The Independent which is not only a scorching indictment of current US policy but also discusses the failure to restore King Zahir Shah. It can be read at Afghans are paying the price for the hatred and regrets of one man


No comments: