Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 21 September 2021

September Ember Days


This week is one of those with the quarterly Ember Days. The FSSP Minute Missive this week is an excellent study of the history, symbolism, theology and practice of these ancient harvest times assigned to thanksgiving for the bounty of the earth. They survive in the 1962 Missal, but were dropped from that of 1970. Happily they have been restored - or carried over perhaps - in the  Ordinariate books, having survived in the BCP, if not in the ASB and its successors.

The article by Fr William Rock FSSP can be seen at September Embertide and the Christianizing of Eden

Happy Embertide to my readers 


No comments: