Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.
Visiting Oxford?
Allow me to be your guide... and discover the history of Oxford with an Oxford historian.
I offer a wide range of guided walks around the city and university. These can be a general introduction to the history and architecture or looking at specific themes and subjects.
I am a Catholic and a historian based in Oxford, where I am a member of Oriel College. My research, for a long delayed D.Phil., is a study of Richard Fleming, Bishop of Lincoln in the second decade of the fifteenth century. I also work as a freelance tutor in History and as an independent tour guide.
I was received into the Church in 2005 and am a Brother of the External Oratory of St Philip Neri at the Oxford Oratory.
On Gothic Art, Part 1
-
The art of pilgrimageIn this and another post next week, I want to look at
the Gothic style of Christian art: where it came from, what makes it
theological...
Gambetti Removed from the Vatican Basilica
-
Confirming what had been rumored for weeks, the Holy Father today removed
Cardinal Gambetti from his Vatican offices, sending him packing to be
Archbishop...
Obituary of a very failed Pontificate
-
"Nun khre methusthen kai tina per bian ponen, epei de katthane
Mursilos."Such would have been the reaction of the unchristianised Greeks.
But for us, for t...
Saint Gabriel
-
The angels call for our veneration and awe as part of God’s creation. Part
of the destructive modernism of the 1970s included advice to Catholic
school t...
Prayer and Reality
-
[image: Image result for kneeling "low Mass"]
"It is not the healthy who need a physician but the sick"
Jesus is supposed to be our Saviour but most of us...
At lunchtime today I attended a Diaconal Ordination of three Dominican friars and two Franciscan Conventuals at Blackfriars here in Oxford. The Archbishop of Liverpool, himself, of course, a Dominican, was the officiating prelate. it is always good to go and support young men as the embark on their life of ministry and this occasion was well attended.
Lovely blog. Thanks for sharing with us.
ReplyDelete