Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 29 June 2015

First Blessing from a Norbertine priest


Yesterday the Oxford Oratory welcomed as its celebrant and preacher at the 11am High Mass for the feast of SS Peter and Paul Fr Stephen Morrison, O.Præm.from  the Norbertine Priory in Chelmsford.

Fr Stephen preached on the gift of Romanitas that we have received as part of our Catholic heritage, including suggesting carbon-neutral methods of Papal transport - i.e. restore the Sede gestatoria

After Mass, Fr Stephen gave first blessings to the congregation.

IMG_7868

Fr Stephen was an undergraduate at Oriel College, where he read French and where I got to know him. in those years he was a regular attender at the Oratory. He joined the Norbertines when he finished in Oxford and was ordained priest last December on the feast of St Nicholas.

IMG_7881

Images: Oxford Oratory

I was very disappointed last December not to be able to attend Fr Stephen's ordination, so it was a great pleasure not only to attend a Mass he celebrated but also to be able to receve one of his first blessings during his first year of priesthood.


No comments: