Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 12 March 2015

Gricigliano


Yesterday I acquired a copy of the very beautifully produced report for 2014 produced by the seminary of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest at Gricigliano. It has avery fine set of photographs of ordinations and liturgies as well as daily life for the seminarians.

What I had not hitherto realised was that the seminary is under the patronage of St Philip Neri, nor the extent to which it looks to the thought of St Francis de Sales as an inspiration - St Francis was, of course, much influenced by St Philip and had looked to an Oratorian vocation before he become a bishop.

Also prominent was an article about Bl. John Henry Newman, which was a substantial extract from the address of Pope Benedict XVI at the beatification liturgy in 2010 at Birmingham.

The website of ICKSP can be seen at www.http://institute-christ- king.org



No comments: