Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday, 31 August 2026

The face of an eleventh century man from Lincolnshire


I have shared articles in the past about facial reconstructions of human remains discovered in archaeological investigations.

The Standard recently reported on a facial reconstruction of a man who is thought to have died in 1079 or thereabouts, and who was buried in a place of honour in the middle of the Anglo-Saxon church of St Peter at Barton-upon-Humber in Lincolnshire.

There is a detailed description of the church from Great English Churches here

The church is now maintained by English Heritage and their illustrated website description can be seen at History of St Peter’s Church, Barton upon Humber



St Peter, Barton-upon-Humber

Image: greatenglishchurches.co.uk

The report on the study of the remains of the man, who appears to have been aged between fifty and sixty at the time of his death, and was thus born in the 1020s, can be accessed at Researchers reconstruct face of man who lived through Norman Conquest
 

No comments:

Post a Comment