Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday, 12 August 2026

An excellent architectural website


Recently whilst searching online for an image to illustrate an article I had written for a magazine I came upon the work of David Bridgwater and his meticulous work on historic buildings at his blog Bath, Art and Architecture

This appears to have begun with studies of the architecture of the city of Bath, but on occasion extends to cover other cities and buildings. I sensed a kindred spirit in his concern to record not only what survives, but also what has been lost, and his sense of place and belonging.
 
Three examples of his work can be seen. Firstly there is his account of the Oxford Arms in the west side of Warwick Lane. Farringdon Within. I had seen photographs of this galleried inn before, but it was good to have more information about the buildings and their history. It is tragic to think that such a remarkable, albeit very decayed, building survived until 1876 - into the childhood of my grandparents - and that no-one saved it. Indeed it is remarkable how many buildings of this era, pre-dating the Great Fire, survived into the late nineteenth century only to be destroyed at the time when there were moves to not just record but to preserve such buildings.


The Oxford Arms
Demolished 1876

Image: Bath, Art and Architecture 


The second study concentrates on a fine plaster ceiling rescued in 1961 from the former Feathers Inn in Nottingham city centre. This was a time when city and town centres were being bulldozed with little or no concern for the losses to the local and national heritage. I do not recall seeing the building on my visits as a child to Nottingham in those years, but I may have. I have checked with David and the ceiling is still in store awaiting a new home. 


The third article looks at Cumberland shipbuilding in the eighteenth century and at a series of carved wooden portrait busts.


This is definitely a blog to keep an eye on and I have added it to the side bar.

David happily agreed m to my original request and to allow reproduction of his photograph, but more of that in another post.


No comments:

Post a Comment