Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 3 April 2024

The Hallaton Roman helmet


The reason I stumbled upon the story of the Hallaton bottle rolling custom was not that I was looking online for Easter traditions but for information about the Roman helmet which was discovered in fragments along with other precious objects at Hallaton in 2000. This is due to go back on display at the Market Harborough Museum along with a replica to indicate what it once liked like. 

The reason for that is because this helmet is both from the earliest years of the Roman presence in Britain and because it is a very rare survival of elaborate parade armour, decorated in silver and gold. It was found at what appears to have been a local shrine and may have been a votive offering. 

The initial report I saw about it was on Wikipedia at Hallaton Helmet and for the rest of the hoard of Iron Age coins at Hallaton Treasure

This past weekend the BBC News website also  had a detailed article which can be seen at Unlocking the secrets of the 'bling' Roman helmet found in a field and there is also an earlier article from them at Unique Roman helmet found in Leicestershire field on display again


No comments: