Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 2 April 2024

More about Easter customs


Having written yesterday about the Hallaton tradition of bottle rolling on Easter Monday I see that The Spectator has an article about this local event and it does include a photograph of the cutting of the hare pie at Hallaton in 1920. The article looks at a range of  traditional customs, some ancient, some relatively recent, by which Easter is celebrated across the country.

The article can be seen at England’s forgotten Easter traditions


No comments: