Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 25 February 2021

Vespers in the Morning?


The New Liturgical Movement has a very informative and interesting article today under this title. It is about the old Roman practice of fasting until after Mass which was celebrated after Nones at the stational churches, and then followed immediately by Vespers. The post links liturgy and fasting to the specific nature of the Papal celebrations in the Rome of the earlier and high middle ages and its legacy in the traditional Missal and Breviary.

The piece can be read at Vespers in the Morning?


No comments: