Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 27 April 2020

Feast of the Patronage of St Philip at the Oxford Oratory


Today is the feast of the Patronage of St Philip at the Oxford Oratory. Each Oratory celebrates this feast on the particular anniversary of the signing of the rescript giving them canonical independence. For Oxford that was on this day in 1993.

Using their newly acquired livestream technology the Fathers have posted, in addition to their twice daily Masses, two more pieces today.

In the first Fr Dominic talks about the ‘deep clean’ that has been made possible of the church interior whilst it is closed and then introduces today’s feast. It can be viewed at Weekly Update 

The second is the recording of the Musical Oratory with music and readings in honour of St Philip that was held following the evening Mass. It can be seen at

No comments: