Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday, 11 October 2026

The Charterhouse of Perth


Having just posted about the Carthusian monastery at Parkminster, in which I mentioned the one Scottish house of the Order, I have now found an online report about the excavations on the site in Perth of that Charterhouse. It was founded in 1429 by King James I and it was where he was buried following his murder in the town at the Blackfriars in 1437.

The report from the BBC News website on the excavations and the masonry fragments that have been discovered, and which includes a link to the website of the research project into the history and archaeology of the site, can be seen at Masonry from Perth's lost monastery may have been reused for drain
 
In the later fourteenth and fifteenth centuries European royal and aristocratic patronage often flowed to existing 
Carthusian houses such as Miraflores near Burgos or 
into new foundations such as Champnol at Dijon by the Dujes of Burgundy or in England Sir Walter Manny with the London Charterhouse, the Duke of Norfolk at Axholne, the Duke of Surrey at Mount Grace, and King Henry V at Sheen.
 
King James I had been brought up as a captive from 1406 at the English court, and appears in the view of his modern biographer to have modelled himself on King Henry. When he returned to Scotland in 1424 with an English born Queen in the person of Joan Beaufort 
he apparently set out to emulate English and European practice by establishing a Carthusian house of contemplative prayer.



King James I of Scots

From the Receuil d’Arras

Image: english -history-trip.tumblr.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment