Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday, 23 September 2026

The Tallinn Cog


The website of The Daily Galaxy recently had an article about the later fourteenth century ship which was discovered during construction work in the Estonian capital, Tallinn. I think I have written before about this discovery, but this new article is a more comprehensive account than those previously available.
 
The timber from which the vessel was constructed was felled in two stages, in 1370-72, and in 1373-74. The article does not refer to any time for the wood to season. The sizeable ship, a cog, appears to have foundered quite early in its career in the harbour area of Tallinn, with tge discovery of personal effects suggesting that the crew abandoning ship in haste.


There is more about the dry compass in an article from a 2023 article from the magazine LBV which can be seen at Archaeologists Discover Oldest Dry Compass in Europe from Wreck of Medieval Ship in Estonia



 Tallinn 
The walled city has preserved much of its architectural heritage from the medieval period 

Image: traveler.ee





No comments:

Post a Comment