Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 16 March 2024

More about this year’s Constable’s Dues


The internet presented me with a report from the Plymouth Herald about the presentation of the Constable’s Dues this week at The Tower of London. The barrel of port on this occasion was presented by H M Royal Marines as part of their 360th anniversary celebrations - a doubly appropriate presentation as the Constable is a Marine himself.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Constable of the Tower once had much more lucrative additional dues on account of something called the Liberties of the Tower:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberties_of_the_Tower_of_London

This, I gather, were dues payable by owners of domestic and commercial property in the area round the Tower walls which could be covered by a bowshot, and longbows could fire arrows quite a distance!

I seem to recall a few years ago that a recent constable became aware of this and, doubtless rubbing his hands in glee at the thought of all that lovely lolly pouring in to his coffers from City companies, started making arrangements to reinstate the payments. But sadly, the Liberties had been abolished in 1894.

Regards

John R Ramsden

jhnrmsdn@yahoo.co.uk