Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 1 March 2024

Gearing up for the next election


No, despite the events in Rochdale yesterday and the current surfeit of speculation and polling both in the UK and abroad, I am not going to write about secular politics in this country or anywhere else ( well, not in this post anyway ) but rather to link to a story on LifeSite News

Their article is about an opinion piece looking to the next Papal election. That election will undoubtedly be of crucial importance to the Church. Written by a member of the Sacred College of Cardinals it is about what the author believes is necessary to be addressed for the next Pontificate. The author, wisely no doubt, conceals his identity behind the pseudonym of Demos II. Demos I, who wrote a not dissimilar article about the current Pontificate a couple of years back, was subsequently revealed to be the late Cardinal George Pell.


The unredacted text can be read on the Daily Compass website at A profile of the next Pope, writes Cardinal
 

No comments: