Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 11 September 2023

The Roman military bathhouse at Carlisle


Staying on Hadrian’s Wall the continuing excavation of the military bathhouse at the principal fort at the western end of the defences which has evolved into Carlisle is outlined in the Daily Telegraph.

The article concentrates on the great number of gem intaglios found from finger rings worn not just by men but also by women and children, but also highlights other discoveries as well as the scale of the structure. This is developing as a major site revealing much about life in Roman Britain.

When I was a schoolboy I had several holidays in Carlisle staying with relatives and I got to know the city and its historic sites as well as the museum collection at Tullie House Museum. These visits were also my first acquaintance with Hadrian’s Wall.

It was also good to see quoted opinions on the finds from an Oxford friend in the person of Professor Henig.



No comments: