Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 4 September 2023

Copernicus in his Catholic context


The Catholic World Report recently published an informative article about Nicolas Copernicus, the 550th anniversary of whose birth and the 480th anniversary of whose death fall this year. 

The author of the article sets out to establish the true details of key aspects of Copernicus’ life and place in the history of Astronomy, and to dispel myths about him and his relationship with the Catholic Church. As far as I can see he succeeds in doing that and he places Copernicus firmly in the world to which he belonged, be it that of nationality, of the Church and of academia.



No comments: