Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 14 April 2023

The Declaration of Breda


SkyNews recently had a report about the forthcoming sale of one of the two surviving copies of the Declaration of Breda - there were originally five - issued by King Charles II on April 4th 1660 in advance of the Restoration in May of that year.

The circumstances surrounding its issue and the contents are set out by Wikipedia at Declaration of Breda and the SkyNews report can be seen at King Charles II's declaration outlining his return from exile expected to fetch up to £600k at auction

It is to be hoped that the copy finds a suitable home in an appropriate archive or library.

 

No comments: