Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 8 April 2023

Easter prisoner released in Malaga


Traditional Spanish celebrations of Easter are stylish and spectacular and marked by the processions of confraternities in their distinctive habits. One such is that of Jesus El Rico in Malaga, and they have a unique privilege - that of being granted the release of a prisoner. The tradition dates from 1759 and the beginning of the reign of the enlightened and reformist King Carlos III. It is described and illustrated in an article from EuroNews which can be seen at Easter pardon: Centuries-old Spanish ritual frees criminals

It has strong similarities to the much older Privilege of St Romain in Rouen. This custom was observed between 1156 and 1790, and took place on Ascension Day. I posted about it in 2012 in St Romanus of Rouen


No comments: