Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 21 October 2022

More on Hipparchus’ star map


I posted the other day in An Ancient Greek star map revealed about reports concerning the identification of a portion of the text of the star map created in the second century BC by Hipparchus in a manuscript from the library of St Catherine’s monastery in Sinai. In it I linked to two articles about the palimpsest and the  place of the star map in the life of Hipparchus and its place in astronomical thought.

I have now come upon another article about the identification of the fragment on the website of Live Science. This is useful in its description of how making the map came to Hipparchus’ mind. It can be seen at World's oldest complete star map, lost for millennia, found inside medieval manuscript


No comments: