Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 8 December 2021

More about Blair Atholl Man


As so often happens with online journalism it can take several days for a story to go the rounds and reach its potential readers. Having posted a link two days ago to a news report about the latest analysis of the so-called ‘Blair Atholl Man’ in my post Blair Atholl Man I have subsequently found a fuller account on the Mail Online site about the research. This gives considerably more information about the burial and the Pictish context and can be seen at Man with strong jawline buried in Scotland in 421 AD was NOT a local


No comments: