Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 17 October 2020

Looking foreword to Halloween

 
It is now mid-October and Halloween, All Saints and All Souls are fast approaching. With that in mind I will draw attention to a post by Claudio Salvucci. He had an article on the Liturgical Arts Journal in late September which is well worth looking at - together with another article by him from 2019 to which he links in it - and urges the restoration of the pre-1955 Vigil of All Saints. 

To further his case he has produced a devotional booklet to make the texts available as well as ancillary material about traditional popular devotions on the day and others to guard against the less appealing aspects of a modern “Halloween.” 

The liturgical texts can of course be accessed on Divinum Officium for those who say the Office or wish to read the traditional Mass lectionary online.



No comments: